View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
New LGX V6 "confirmed" for 2016 Camaro

User FenwickHocky65 originally posted this in his "Great thread of Knowledge"...but not much else was said. So now that I've given him his props, I thought I'd post this in the 6th gen section for more discussion.

Someone on the GMInsideNews site sounds pretty confident that the new "LGX" V6 engine will be going into the 6th gen. The title of the thread says "Confirmed" but there is no proof of the confirmed news linked that I saw. There is a healthy discussion there...check it out: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...camaro-167114/

To sum it up: It is believed there will be 4 cylinder (I'd say most likely turbo 4), 6 cylinder, and 8 cylinder options, but opposite of Ford's model, the 6 cylinder will be the midlevel, optional engine choice. Al O may have said no 4 cylinder for Camaro, but thats just his thoughts....not a confirmation.
There are no specs on this engine yet, but again some believe it will once again be a 3.6 like the outgoing LFX engine. It will also be used in the 2016 ATS, and other GM models.

So assuming all of the above is true, then my thoughts are this. If the turbo 4 cylinder is the base engine, then that probably means it won't be intended as the direct performance competitor to the Mustang's midlevel turbo 4 engine. Instead, it would be the most economical version, but still provide a "fun" amount of power. I'd guess at least the same as the current 272HP/295TQ found in the current "LTG" turbo 4 cylinder.

So to be a viable midlevel option over the turbo 4, the LGX V6 is going to need a bit of a bump in HP, or TQ, or hopefully both. I think better economy than LFX is a given, but I'd like to see at least 330+ HP, and 290 + TQ. (The 3.8 in the Genesis makes 345HP, so a high HP number isn't my concern as much as TQ to be honest) I have been posting a lot, that I hope to see a V6 with a big displacement at least 3.6 but more like 3.7 -3.8 (for more torque), cylinder deactivation (hwy fuel economy), and of course direct injection, cam phasing, etc. The engine would need to be very refined for use in Cadillac models.

If I were to have my choice, a 345 HP, 290 - 300TQ V6 in a 3,450 lb package sounds like a fun ride for mid to upper 20s (I'm sure it would eclipse 30 with nearly all options checked). This is about what the ATS V6 weighs. As the midlevel option, it would be wise of GM to offer a performance package, just like they are for the midlevel Mustang.