View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Alpha platform = smaller; what does it mean?

Okay, I get that a frame can be made lighter with better materials and better engineering, but I don't get the part about the alpha platform being smaller.

What I mean is, if the alpha platform is smaller, it means that there is less cabin room and trunk space too right? Is that the problem with the Zeta?

The reason I'm confused is that I don't think the Camaro is that big in the cabin in the first place. Unlike the Challenger, it can't sit 5. It can barely sit 4, so doesn't it mean that moving to the alpha platform will mean even less cabin space?

Also another thing I'm confused with is: will the alpha platform enable better outward visibility without changing its looks? I mean: if the 5th gen Camaro were to have come out on the alpha platform, would it have looked basically the same but with more outward visibility? Maybe it's a silly question, but one person made the comment was that the alpha platform was such a huge improvement over the zeta platform, and I'm wondering what exactly might that mean.

To summarize:
1) I get it's smaller and lighter. Question: is that all the benefit? Will it mean less cabin space? If not, how can it have the same cabin space?

2) will outward visibility improve, or has that got nothing to do with the platform?

Thanks!