View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #36
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I think I will probably only buy the lower control arms for $700 USD (for camber and roll Center correction for lowered car) and perhaps the Front tension rods $600 USD (the BMR bearing I’ve already replaced and castor adjustment) so
I can increase camber to some thing around 3 or 3.5 considering that I already have the rears at -2

The $5000 figure was if I bought every single part SPL offered for my car. He also has no problem sharing the alignment spec goals, I just didn’t want to know how to set up all the parts in order to get there

I have thought about the DSSV‘s considering I would think they would pay a bigger dividend considering just how many corners I have on my local track, however I really don’t want to ruin the ride quality of the vehicle when I drive on the street, even though it’s not a daily driver. Having said that I mostly only driving on the highway now.

There seemEd to be a few guys who switched their MRC to DSSV and gained very minimal time on the track. however it was an extremely low sample size, I imagine it’s also very driver dependent and very track dependent as well. I can’t help but wonder how much of a difference the DSSV would make when doing 19 corner in 1 minute 20 seconds
Have you noticed more roll, or understeer, since you switched the springs? Have you measured the angle of the control arm with new springs? Has he?
Usually corrections for roll centre are needed if a ride height is lowered quite a bit and results in negative handling effects. If your half inch is not producing these negative effects, than no correction is needed per se.

If you are starting to worry about absolute perfection, then an upgrade to eliminate any roll centre issues (if you have them at all) would be to put oem springs back on at ZERO cost. This would also solve for any issues regarding springs to damper valving ratios. Something i would not forget about, if you are looking at maximizing performance set up to a proverbial "T". It would also be a timely (and cheap) test, to see if the handling and/or pace changes any. What if ya went a few tenths faster?
If you wont test, you will never know. Even IMSA teams test multi spring/damper combos before picking the best handling set for a given race.

As far as DSSV, i would consider them seriously, if aero was in your plans. With more aero, you will need a harder sprung suspension. Note Nicky Bobby's build details. They are very well thought out.

As far as increase in pace, driver and tires will make the most difference. But, a well balanced car, which is easy to push is equally important. At this stage, given your big success this season, future gains might be in tenths vs seconds. Not having laptimes from another well driven ZL1 on the same tires, you wont know what the delta is.
A good lap timer could be of help based on optimal sector times, but these are about driver vs mechanical mods and not necessarily 100% accurate (but helpful nevertheless).

Judging by Fastest Laps at various venues, it seems that ZL1 1LE is damn fast as a package. This tells me that GM did a nice job marrying different components together to max pace: suspension, tires and aero.

PS it seems you were surprised you have 2R camber. Do they not set up your car based on your specs? Do you not check them? Note my comments about high camber and tire wear. Have fun! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote