View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #154
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
So first of all adding an AWD option to the Camaro lineup wouldn't "desecrate" it by any means. Secondly if you truly believe that my next point will probably fall on deaf ears: YES comparing the introduction of disc brakes and fuel injection is completely reasonable in this context. It's just new technology and application, AWD has proven to be a viable option for many sports cars/super cars so why couldn't it work on the Camaro or Corvette platform.

Now with that said I agree like others that the Camaro doesn't need AWD and the team knows that and therefor we most likely won't see an AWD Camaro until we reach the point in time when there is a 100% electric Camaro at which point of course it will be AWD with a motor at each wheel. The "rumored" AWD C8 Vette (IF IT IS REAL) won't be a traditional AWD car like the GTR or R8, it will be a hybrid setup much like the 918, TTV8 powering the rear wheels and electric motors powering the front. This will work well for a mid-engine platform, hence it's already been proven on the 918. I don't see such a setup working on the front-engine Camaro. So IMO, AWD is coming eventually... but not for a while so clam down everyone that's terrified of a little change.

As others have said I too think the Gen 7 will best benefit from being as light and nimble as possible, it will sit on the revised Alpha II platform so hopefully they will shed a few more pounds there and I'm really hoping they go for a mostly aluminum body that would be the most cost efficient way to save more weight across the lineup. And be prepared for more CF and composites and/or weight saving options on the higher trims (like the GT350R and 5th gen Z/28 did).

Thanks to the parts bin we will see stuff from the C8, I really don't understand why people are doubting this, just because an engine is developed mainly for the mid-engine Vette doesn't mean it can't work in the Camaro. The 7th Gen is almost certainly well into development, right along side the C8, and I believe we will see it release as a 2022MY right after the C8 for 2021MY. Just my 2 cents, rant over haha
I will agree to disagree - no point on further discussion since we are at opposite ends of opinion on this matter.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote