View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #17
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
None of this is true at all. Wheel and tires widths don't affect the loads on the suspension, except acceleration loads. In this case, narrower tires (and probably less sticky rubber) will reduce the loads on the suspension because the car won't be able to corner, brake, or accelerate as hard. If you put super-sticky tires on a car not built for them, then maybe - but this is the opposite case. Tire and wheel width have nothing to do with alignment or tire wear. I don't even know what "tuned for considerably more rubber to be on the road than 8.5s can provide" even means.
i shouldn't write messages like this when I’m falling asleep watching a NASCAR race. Sooo...

Of course, just changing wheel size will not change the alignment, since alignment is really measured from (and dependent on the position of) the hub, which doesn’t change just because you’ve swapped wheels and tires. However, if the alignment is off before the switch, a wheel-and-tire change can amplify any handling or tire wear problems that already existed (and even may have been undetectable), so in a perfect world the alignment should be checked.

Also, going to a different wheel width can affect suspension loading, bearing wear, handling and traction - although it’s fair to say those problems usually are more evident when the wheel offset is incorrect or you go to a wider-than-stock wheel-and-tire combination. In this case, since the OP is using a complete OEM wheel-and-tire combination, those issues should be greatly minimized - but there will (should) be a noticeable difference in driving feel because the wheels and tires are narrower and a different profile than the ZL1 suspension was designed to handle.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote