View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #21
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Question is how many of these owners actually hit the track to begin with.

The C/D lap is the 'best' of 5 laps from what I understand.

My only premise is 'engagement' be it for the street or track for which there is no substitute for a manual. Again, just my 2 cents and not trying to convert anyone.

I for one do not engage in roll racing or drag times (ZL1 1LE would be the wrong trim for both those things).

For road courses (HPDE's), the objective is to enjoy the car and get 'your' personal bests.

Having a Manual car makes you enjoy those 20 odd minutes where you are the one engaging the car in executing perfect heel/toe and getting your line right. A manual truly makes you in sync with the drivetrain as opposed to simply flipping a paddle.

Flipping a paddle (to me) make sense in competitive racing where every 10th matters. However, there are no prizes in HPDE events.

I don't want to derail this thread as this is not a MT vs Auto debate. I am thankful Chevy gives us 2 great options.

Consider me old skool I suppose where 'involvement' matters as opposed to paddle shift, point and shoot.

Cheers.
I support your cause (saving the manuals). That's all I've tracked to date (besides off road track days in my ZR2 truck). However, I've personally decided to spend some time with autos and dual clutch, mainly because it appears the C8 Z06 I'm waiting on might not have a manual. I'm anxious to see if I'll enjoy focusing on the other aspects of track driving. I do think I'll miss hill/toe downshifts though, but those have been gone since C7 vettes and 6th gen camaros I believe (can you turn the rev matching off?).
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote