View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #1
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Talking Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

Hi all!

I recently scored an hour in a 2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4. I got to take it on highway, city and mountain roads. I know many of you love sports cars, so I thought I'd share my impressions! (My full write-up with more pictures is here.)

* The seat and suspension comfort in the GT4 (with Porsche's base sports seats) was better than I expected out of a motorsports-oriented Porsche. Sure, it is no mag-ride Camaro SS, but I was comfortable on the highway and would road trip the GT4. I also found the chassis confident on back roads. The GT4 holds its line over severe bumps.
* Having experienced the 911 GT3 engine, I was disappointed with the Cayman GT4 engine. Yes, the GT4 is a revver, but it's not as reactive or torquey as the GT3; I felt like it was missing the special sauce. I think it might show better on a track.
* Shifting the GT4 6-speed is bliss. This is one of the best manuals I've ever used! Dare I say it's better than the Camaro 6-speed?
* But the GT4 6-speed's long gearing muffles some of the engine's punch. I like cars where the engine terrorizes the rear tires. (Hello Camaro SS!) The GT4 doesn't have the gearing or power to do that.
* The GT4 has incredibly informative steering, though it still talks with an EPAS accent. I still prefer the well-oiled slickness of a true hydraulic rack, but the GT4 EPAS is extraordinarily communicative and completely satisfying.

I had a great day playing with the GT4. Too bad they are so damn expensive!

Best,
Mike