View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #45
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
So after reading this I did a little research into finding my old '67 Vert VIN here in MI. The MI Sec of State has a FOIA request email for inquiries, so I sent an email off. I got an email back that appeared to say that I could file a FOIA request and for $11 get the info. I filled out the PDF they attached to the email and sent it in with an $11 check. Two (of many) options that I thought would get me there were:
1) Title history on selected dates, but you had to know the VIN
2) Registration history on selected dates, using a plate # or handicap tag #.

I was able to provide a 1979 plate # that they would show in their records belonged to me.

There was also a space to explain in your own words what you were looking for and why. I said I just wanted to get the VIN to see if the car may still exist and possibly find it on the open market. I specifically stated I was not asking for the current owner info, just the VIN.

I got a call from them today and they said I was not eligible to receive that info and they were going to refund my $11. Oh well, I just never should have sold the car!
I wonder if you could have requested a copy of the registration form... Seems they deem the VIN to be 'private info' of some sort and exempt from any sort of handling under FOIA... How about a property tax bill from the town/city you lived in at the time?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote