View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You don't mention heat cycles. Heat cycles are as important or more important than tread wear. You will get no more than 15 heat cycles of out of a set of track tires before the grip is reduced to a point that normal on track driving may lead to a tire wall detour.

You typically get at least three heat cycles per track day, maybe more. Using an average of three heat cycles you get 6 track days out of a set of tires. You can run the most aggressive ZLE alignment and those magical GYs will heat cycle out before they wear out.

FYI -- the faster you get on track. the faster your tires will heat cycle out becuase they get hotter.

I’m not at the point where I’m noticing heat cycles, yet. But you’re right this is a factor. I have been doing 4-6 sessions per day each track day...this year, 2 days so far. I estimate that is 8-12 heat cycles. So I should start to notice some fall off in grip at the Camaro Fest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't the reason for the weird tire wear.

I put my car on a rack almost immediately just to check things out and the factory alignment was terrible. I switched the plates to "track" and adjusted toe when the car had under 50 miles. I got 7 heat cycles out of the fronts (7 track sessions).

There is something else at play here. Perhaps some sort of dynamic toe change under braking?? Temps looked great across the tire, yet they still corded on the inside. With that said, the Viper ACR get's a day out of the fronts, so this may not be unheard of.
Interesting, I didn’t realize those cars had such short front tire life.