View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Really mods seem to be very expensive for these GEN6 Camaros or maybe it's just GEN5 SBC's in generally, but holy crap. I use to think $1800-$2200 was a lot for a complete exhaust from your higher-end exhaust companies. A complete U.S made SS exhaust for a GEN6 looks to be pushing $3K. It's just stainless tubing that's been bent into shape and welded together. A CAI looks to be like $400+. I have an awesome JLT CAI on my L that cost well under $200. My LID/drop in K&N on my Fcar was maybe $120? About $700 for a good 102+ MM TB? It's just a block of aluminum machined to mount to a manifold with 4 bolts in a square pattern and a large hole in the center of them with a butterfly valve and maybe an electrical sensor mounted on it. Do the GEN5 LT motors see bigger gains from these mods then say your GEN4 LS motors? Then you'll probably need a $1300 manifold to run a l02+ MM TB. That's $2k right there. I mean what's a clutch or a STS cost for a new Camaro.

I know I'm ranting here, and I'm all for people/companies making their $. They're in business to make a profit, and these arent necessarily LS7 aftermarket part prices. Still I don't see why aftermarket parts for GEN6 Camaros should cost much if any more than they do for cars a generation or two back. I'm all for businesses making money, but I don't want to feel extorted either. Oddly enough more serious mods like a cam or head porting doesn't seems like it's gone up "TOO" much over your LS stuff. (maybe a little bit more) It seems to me to mainly apply to bolt ons from what I'm seeing.

Please tell me if you think I'm wrong. I'm not the bigger expert, but when I start looking for mods for this car I keep thinking, "wow that part cost a lot of money for this car.)
Well, you should be smart enough to buy stuff that will actually increase your power, and for that, you will pay some money, but it'll be worth it. Suckers will buy the K&N kits, the "cold air intakes", etc...

You gotta pay to play. Headers + full exhaust + a tune will give you some gains, not huge, since you are dealing with a NA engine. It takes some money to design those parts so they fit the same every time and materials that will be heat resistant as necessary.

I think you are wrong. Gains on a NA engine are very difficult. You can often get a 20-33% increase on a turbo engine by going exhaust(downpipe included) + tune, not in every case, but in many cases and it's usually a significant increase. NA engines work differently and it's not possible to cram more fuel and air into the cylinder because there's nothing "pushing it" that you can tell to push harder.

Quality stuff costs money, whether it's a corvette, a camaro or a BMW.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote