View Single Post
Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 PM   #1
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Bummed, my brand new 17x10.5 Darkstars contacted my caliper on the ZL1 scratching it.

I was ASSURED by both Racestar and dragracingwheels.com that these were made specifically for the 6th gen ZL1. And in test fitting them they had about an 1/8" clearance between the tit/top of the caliper and the inside of the wheel. I was happy with that and bolted them up.

Went out for a few digs to test the new traction and they hooked awesome with the 305/45/17 ET street SS's I just put on them. These are $1500 worth of brand new wheels/DRs.

Well I got back to the house and decided to look at them on both sides to make sure we were still all good. And ONLY on the passenger wheel, wouldnt you know somehow the caliper made contact with the wheel. Not bad but enough to put a scratch ring around 3/4th the inside of the wheel and took a small chip out of the tip of the caliper. I took the wheel off to inspect and didnt find anything else rubbing anywhere.

Put them back on and torqued to 140ft lbs again and went back out. No issues more-so than before, but now im worried. I was going to drive on these full time and keep them on at the track next week. But now I fell like I should put the stock wheels back on and just swap them on for the track.

This is disheartening. And you know the dragracingwheels.com people will not under any circumstances take back or refund anything thats been mounted. Forget getting them to fix the caliper... Below is a link to the wheel that "fits" but your mileage may vary. My drivers side wheel is perfect no contact. And from the outside, the driver's side looks like its even closer to the wheel inner barrel.

How could this happen??

https://dragracingwheels.com/race-st...gm-92-705253b/
Attached Images

SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote