View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
Amsoil has a 5w-40 "European Car Formula" that meets dexos 2.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tic-motor-oil/

I don't see any restrictions to buy in the U.S.
As a technicality, AMSoil is famous for their misleading verbiage on their datasheets. "engineered for use in gasoline or Diesel vehicles that requires any of the following specifications", is not to be confused with the actual specification approvals. In the case of their 0W-40, it's designed to meet those specifications, but doesn't have the actual approvals. The 5W-40 (AFL) is designed to meet Dexos 2, but actually has LL-04, 229.51, and A40 approvals.

I know it's frustrating, but for those trying to follow the letter of the factory warranty, it's important to note. It seems one of the very few Dexos 2's that's an xW-40 to buy in the USA is the Motul XClean 5W-40 on Amazon.

Has anyone asked their dealership what specific oils they're OK with when going to the track?

Ok, the other side of the coin is; what you're trying to do is have a rational viscosity [ergo HTHS] at the temperature your oil is on the track. I'm not sure if the LT4 uses a different oil cooler than the LT1, but the LT1 runs its oil very hot on-track in the Camaro, around 270°F. This is exactly why GM specifies an xW-40 for track work, the elevated temp puts the 40 weight even thinner at the high temp, thus bringing the viscosity in line with what's rational.

If your setup has more comfortable oil temps, say 230°F, then running a 5W-30 makes sense as the viscosity will be roughly the same at 230°F as a 5W-40 at 270°F.

I hope that helps,
Ryan