View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So the easiest part about swapping out the differential in these cars is actually jacking one up in there and putting the bolts in, which I thought was going to be the hardest.

The hardest thing is dealing with the stupid axle shafts and driveshaft. The most helpful tip is while raising up the new differential put the axel shafts in before you get it close to getting the bolts in, there is only so much room and you will end up trying to compress the shafts to get them onto the differential flange.

Also put the driveshaft on before you put the bolts in that hold the differential.

I had to learn this the hard way and have been dealing with trying to get this driveshaft to go on for hours:
Name:  PXL_20210113_030546510.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  71.8 KB

Am I doing something wrong? I would remove the other side of the driveshaft from the transmission but you can't get access to the bolts without having to take all this other stuff off along with the crossmember.

I also took the center support out hoping I could bend the driveshaft at the u joint and compress it forward enough to get it on the differential but its close but not going. This is insanely frustrating.

Also the biggest tip for swapping the differential, take the exhaust off, its not that hard and it will make it easier.

Last edited by cmitchell17; 01-12-2021 at 10:09 PM.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote