View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1989 View Post
It's stupid that GM just didn't include one with the car...
But for what purpose? It'd be like running around with another whole battery in your trunk, "just in case" you get back to the car and the battery is dead. Can it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Not really, and you can get jumped, so it's not very practical to run around with an extra battery. Same thing with the tire, modern sealant works pretty darn well, I've used it more than once, for the type of punctures that are likely to require you to actually use the run-flat feature, but again, if you do, you often wipe-out the tire's sidewall, rather than just bringing your tire with sealant to the shop and getting the puncture plugged.

I think people are "conditioned" that a car should have a spare, but as far as actually using one, on a passenger car, I never have. Someone will always come into these threads and talk about the time they were driving along at 50mph and the front left tire hit an IED and blew apart on them, but again, modern steel-belted radials are very strong and unless you are taking tires out well past their wear limits, these types of events are so rare that I don't think it would ever justify having a spare.

In some applications, a spare makes some sense, but IME, not in this one.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote