Thread: Tablet mount
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 05:39 PM   #10
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I recently acquired some RaceCapture hardware and a Samsung Galaxy S5e to go with it. Like others here, I needed a place to mount the tablet. My original plan was to use the ProClip 835232 Console Mount along with their 511848 Small Universal Tablet Holder, both of which I had lying around. The S5e isn't really supposed to fit in that holder, but it does...just barely and without a case. The problem was that the console mount didn't really give the ideal tablet placement (mainly, it was so close to the shifter that I think it would interfere with shifts) and didn't seem super secure for something as big and heavy as a tablet.

I decided to borrow the ideas Scargoes posted above. He was nice enough to answer a couple PMs from me to clarify some things, too. I already had the tablet holder itself, and I wanted to try using a dash mount with a backing plate already tapped for screws. I ended up getting the Ram RAM-B-101U-225B2 Double Ball Mount with Backing Plate. I think it's about the same length as the iBolt mount Scargoes used. It's very rigid, and the rubber 1" ball ends hold a tablet's position very securely when the wing nut is tightened.

I think I ended up mounting it in a similar location to Scargoes:

Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  191.7 KB

The back plate is bigger than necessary, but mostly that is good because it provides extra rigidity in the mount. I did have to cut roughly 3/8-1/2" off the bottom edge of the plate in order to clear the bottom of the dash panel insert. The dash panel has some stiffening ribs and the backing plate sits on top of them. I used JB Weld Steel Stick putty between the plate and the back plastic of the panel to make a nice form fit and hold the plate in place if/when I ever unscrew the mount from the dash (panel doesn't have to be removed that way). With that putty in there, it helps make this mount more rigid by filling in the voids created by the ribs on the dash panel. I used the screws that Ram supplied, but I cut them shorter so they wouldn't hit the dash structure behind the panel. Here's what the backing plate looks like (sharpie marks just to make sure I didn't putty over the four holes I actually need):

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  396.5 KB

With the AMPS bolt pattern, my ProClip holder fits perfectly on one end of that mount. The length and positioning of this arm allows the table to aim right at me and tuck in close to the Infotainment display. Sorry, my interior needs to be cleaned:

Name:  IMG_0529.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  324.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0531.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  340.6 KB

I test drove the setup today and it seems very secure and rigid: it does not jiggle much over bumps. The limitation on rigidity is in the panel itself (probably largely in the clips that hold it in) and possibly in the leather cover (the mounting screws might need to be tightened as the leather packs down over time). It doesn't look obtrusive when the tablet mount and arm aren't on there, but I've ordered a Ram RAM-HOL-PD3-238AU Quick-Grip Universal Phone Holder that I can pop into the arm in place of the tablet holder when I'm not at an autocross or track event. It will hold my phone nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
So if your using the tablet for logging do you have to have it within arms reach or can you use a mount and attach it to a harness bar or roll cage and start the log before going on track??
I think you could mount it out of arm's reach and start it before you strap in. However, I also think it would be nicer to be able to control it whenever needed. It would also maybe be nice to sometimes review data and video from the driver's seat, and maybe even see the predictive info some apps provide during a lap.