View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My Maryland Speed Experience

I’ve spent two-weeks trying to figure out how to write this review. Being unbiased was my focus, and I know I need to set up my story, so I will try to keep it short and still get my point across. Here goes…:

I was just poking around whatever sites came up when I searched for Kook’s headers (I had specific needs for this exact system for my rig) when I stumbled into Maryland Speed’s (MS) website. I really had no intent on making a purchase because of cost and I wasn’t going to skimp on materials or workmanship, so I really thought there was no chance I’d make a purchase. However, after adding the Kook’s headers and their H-pipe into my cart so I could see what shipping would be, a chat request came up. I accepted and was offered a price I couldn’t believe; and that price was only good right then – not later. I was skeptical and knew I’d be taking a chance, but ultimately took the chance and placed an order because the price was FAR from anything else. I did not make it known I was a moderator on this site, nor did I even notice to check if they were a sponsor (again – I had no intent on actually making a purchase when I stumbled into the site). So I read all the disclaimers and placed my order – I was very excited).

Long story short – six-months later, I have a set of new Kook’s headers and H-pipe. I received exactly what I ordered. I was not pleasant to deal with for the last four-months because it was taking so long. It, however, DOES say in the disclaimer orders can take a long time because of the huge discounts. That is NO joke. There are some details I’m leaving out, but suffice to say that I got what I paid for, and looking back, think that the wait was worth it. Considering the price I paid for what I got, I am not going to be mad. I can tell you I was frantic the last several months thinking that my money was stolen and that I wouldn’t get anything, but that was NOT the case. YES – it took A LONG time. Did I think or know it would take this long? No. Was I told it might take this long? No. Would it have been less stressful had I known these things from the beginning? Yes. Is it fair to ask for these things? Maybe…

I have no idea how MS gets these discounts, officially. I have my suspicions but I really don’t know. They may operate like an over-stock-style store where they buy up a bunch of super-cheap stuff other stores can’t sell and turn around and sell them, or just buy from distributors that order so much product they get ridiculous discounts because of the volume of good they move. It isn’t my business to know exactly how MS gets these deals, but they do. IT TAKES TIME THOUGH. If you want the low price more than how fast you get your product, MS can be a good option in my opinion. Could MS have done things differently for me? Yes. They didn’t know I was a moderator on a site they sponsor until a few months into my order because I wasn’t looking for special treatment, but I think they treated me well enough. I think they could’ve communicated how long the wait could be and that the way they procure product can take a long time for the kinds of discounts they offer. That is probably not a good business model for them though because who wants to wait six-months for headers they could get from Summit in a day? Well – I would, if I knew some more details, but I’m sure MS knows MOST people won’t wait that long if you tell them. I could’ve asked for more questions in the beginning or even said I’d pay more to get them faster, but those were things I didn’t think of because (after waiting 60-days and not getting anything) I immediately started thinking some dude I’ve never seen, 3000-miles away, stole more than $1000 from me. Brandon and Maryland Speed did NOT steal ANYTHING from me though. Yes – it took forever to get my stuff. BUT – I got it. Did I get it for the price I was originally promised? YUP.

So – the point I’m trying to make is that communicating and being honest with your expectations can just make most situations easier to deal with. Had I been more direct from the beginning about how long it would reasonably take to get my order, I wouldn’t have been freaking out over the thought of someone stealing my money. Brandon and Maryland Speed fulfilled my order completely at a price I’ve not seen for these headers for 10-years. I didn’t get a special discount or treatment in any way. I was a regular customer to him at purchase. I bet everyone gets the same treatment I do. Will I give him more business? Yes. Will I change the way I order from him? Yes – I will be asking more questions about availability and expected ETAs. Do I think he tries to be deceiving or dishonest? No. I do not. I don’t know exactly how he offers the prices he does, but I know that you can’t have those kinds of discounts for free. Would I have paid more for those headers? Nope. I didn’t want them enough to pay for more. Did I think I waited too long to get them? No. It would’ve been easier to know it could take this long but sometimes you just can’t forecast these things. Nothing’s free. If the price is more important than the wait, Maryland Speed deserves consideration for your next purchase, IMHO.

Respectfully,
Chuck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote