View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #58
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
I read a few of your post and I know what you want.

A really good tuner can get that cam to work. A good friend of mine went thru what your doing tuning his Challenger with a cam from hell. Him tuning himsself never got it to idle below 1000 rpm. he really worked at it.

He finally went to a tuner and I think it was at least 30 revisions but they got it. 650/700 RPM and dead steady idle AC on etc. You can do it with these new style fuel injection controls. His car doesnt have a MAF but they can calculate the air column going thru the motor at idle and get it to work. Wild guess I dont think they look at AF at idle.
I get what you are saying, but I am unlike anyone else. I can obsess over the slightest bump in the driveline that no one else on earth would feel, or sense the slightest different vibration. I am constantly hypervigilantly observing for harsh noises, vibrations, clunks, clangs, and whatever and it really takes the joy away from enjoying the car as I am so bothered by this stuff out of my control.

Anyway, my cam is simply too big, it has too much exhaust revision for combustion stability there is no tuning in the world that would make it idle like stock again.

I remember seeing when the Corvette team announced the C8, there was a presentation they came out with for the LT2. In some of the improvements (which there is a lot of "marketing bs" in even the engineering slideshows) they talked about how they improved idle combustion stability from the LT1. I need to find that and see what they did since I can't remember, it was probably one of the enhancements of the new E90 control system since it uses a wideband now.

It was apparent to me when I first got my Camaro just how rough the stock idle was surprised me. If you read all the SAE papers about the "10 million" or whatever computer aided combustion analysis they did you would think the Camaro would have the best idle in the world, but maybe there is some improvements to be made with the LT1.

Either way my cam is too big and if I could do it over I would try to figure out how to get one that idled better.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote