Thread: vs 2018 Mustang
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #276
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I don't think they should have brought the bullitt back at all.

They should have brought back the Mach 1 and made it 485 HP/435 TQ, Force Racing Track Pack suspension being standard, 6 pot brembo front, GT350 4 pot brembo rear. Active exhaust standard. Base Mach 1 being a cloth interior, electronics pack car. Optional leather/nav/etc.

Stick it at $45,995 starting, optioned up to $48,999.

It would be exactly what the original Mach was..a step up but not to the Boss levels (IE at that time the B429)
I agree with almost everything you've stated, save for the powerplant, My take on what Mach1 should have been or would have been is a 3.5-4.0EB car, the engine architecture allows this, with an optional A10. Tuned to an appropriate 485ish hp and 500ish tq.This way the HP output puts it above GT but below the Shelby offerings but out torques both.

Here are the reason why this makes sense:

· The drive train components are available.
· Increasing Mustang's association with the Ecoboost name is only good for Ford marketing.
· This allows Ford to "test the waters" for the take rate of a TTv6 in a performance oriented Mustang still in the GT's price range, the upper part anyway.

The cons:

·Ford may lose the buyers stuck with that ever present "but, but, muh vee-aight motuur" crowd.

If the 3.5EB shows a take rate near that of F-150 then I could see them moving GT over to an EB v6 by gen8...Which I think we all know IS coming.

By no means am I advocating that they remove the v8 from Mustang's line up, just move it into the upper tier offering. Would this upset people? Sure, primarily the enthusiasts. But we are a small group no matter how you cut it. Besides, enthusiasts as we have always found ways to carry on as the times and tech change. We adapt and we carry on.