View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Some more impressions after another week with the car:

- Ingress/Egress is more difficult due to the side spoilers and deep bolstering of the Recaros. They definitely sit lower too. Have to be more careful getting in and out.

- The Goodyear tires have gotten noisier now that they've broken in. They are also not suitable for rain of any sort. For the first time in a long time, the car caught me offguard when it changed directions into a guardrail on the highway over some wet roads. The tires hydroplane very easily and this is traced to the aggressive tread pattern of the factory Goodyears. I haven't decided what to do yet with the tires since they work so damn well on track or autox. Do I go full winter set wheels+tires and just burn through these and replace later with something that works better in the wet at the expense of dry traction like PS4s? Or is there a better option in ZL1 sizing? At this level, seems to only be trade-offs.

- The shifter vibrates noticeably while driving. It's bouncing around. I don't remember my SS with the same shifter doing that. I will pay more attention.

- Rear speaker deck has a rattle that my SS did not have. Will fix that with some felt.

- Front end clearance is better than the SS due to not having the spoiler extensions at the bottom for the smaller SS brakes.

- 17mpg is my best currently, but definitely going through more gas than usual. That supercharger whine is addictive.

- Brakes and Power...just wow.

- Alcantara is not my most favorite material for touchpoints. Can already sense that maintenance on the steering wheel and shift knob are going to be higher to keep it looking good.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote