View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Al wants a sub-7 minute car. The ZL1 already has more power than a Viper ACR or Huracan Performante and the alpha platform is one of the best chassis in existence. The suspension setup is as good as it gets and the tires are basically racing slicks. However, the ZL1 1LE is behind in two major areas: Weight and Aerodynamics. The Viper ACR weighs in below 3,400lbs, as does the Performante. I believe that there’s a plethora of ways to reduce weight in the ZL1 1LE without the extensive use of expensive materials:
1. Corvette Competition seats
2. Rear seat delete
3. Revised exhaust with a much smaller muffler
4. Carbon Ceramic Brakes
5. Aluminum wheels
6. Lightweight alloy suspension and chassis components
7. Basic headlights
8. Basic interior with 1SS-like features, no luxury stuff

These could bring the weight of the ZL1 1LE down to 3,400lbs or less.

The Wing on the 1LE is cool, as are the canards, but more downforce and better aerodynamics are needed to accomplish a lap time of less than 7 minutes. I’m not saying that they need to make an ACR style wing, but something along the lines of the ZR1 wing would be great. Also borrowing from the ZR1, an underbody diffuser in below the engine could keep the front end stable and grippy without the use of bigger splitters and canards.

The price honestly doesn’t matter. If they can set a Nurburgring record or something close to it, and the car looks and sounds badass, people will buy it for as much as $120,000. No, it wouldn’t sell much, but it would really help the sales of the entire Camaro lineup. Huracan Performantes sold like hotcakes whenever they became available because people knew how absurd the performance was and how cool of a car it is. Imagine the respect the Camaro would get if it beat the GT2 RS and Performante around the Nurburgring and win every magazine test/competition out there. I know none of this seems very realistic when talking about GM, but GM is perfectly capable of making such a car.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote