View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Wasn't this pretty much a given?
No it wasn't...not in my opinion.

Ford originally did not have plans to use the 3.7 V6 in the Mustang, but it was given the go ahead after the turbo 4 and the V8 because it would still enable them to offer a low entry price.

I also believe it wasn't a given because offering a V6 in a lineup that includes a performance oriented turbo 4 cylinder is a hard sell. In my mind, even though I want the V6 to be offered, even I had a hard time coming up with a good reason why you'd offer a V6 when the turbo 4 could be faster, and have better highway FE. No 60 degree V6 will match the torque of a turbo 4 cylinder when its pumped up to around 300 HP, as typically you see more TQ than HP in these applications.

But if GM goes a different route and offers a lower power, better FE base turbo 4 as the base, and a high output n/a V6 as the middle ground, then I think that makes sense.

OR

Maybe Fen is right, and they will offer a powerful turbo 4, and a powerful V6 at roughly the same, if not exact same price.

Anyways, this is the first real "confirmed" bit of news we've had engine wise on the 6th gen, so I think its pretty cool news. I think the LT1 is a given, but we have yet to hear of it going into the 6th gen, or any model that use Alpha chassis yet for that matter