View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #49
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
"What people want in their cars has drastically changed in the past 30 years or so."

The modern SUV - really CUVs are what people are buying - has taught people that you can have decent power, handling and comfort in a big box that carries all your stuff. I couldn't have imagined 30 years ago that even my big 4-door Impala with its huge trunk would be considered a car with "car" limitations, but that's how it's looked at now by most buyers looking for a mainstream daily driver. In this landscape Challenger is a severely compromised play car you buy for looks and motor, and Camaro is practically a 2-seater Miata with a V8. Things have changed.
We really only have to look at the marketing of automobiles in general today. If performance is even mentioned, it is very brief at best. What people, in general, are concerned and excited about are tech and safety. While this is all fine and good, these features, along with all of the mandated safety and efficiency has driven the cost of these machines through the roof.

Family life in general has also changed dramatically since 1979 as well. That was about the time the trend was just beginning for the two income household. Then, a family could get away with mom having the family wagon, remember the "Country Squire", and dad could have the 'sports car'. However, with the divorce rate hovering at over 50%, and the managing of schedules in multi-career households, both parents have to have room for the kids, and all of their activities. Oh, and where did all of this, I have to buy my kid a car stuff come from?

Point is, it's not that people don't want these cars, it's just that they do not fit into the lifestyle or the budget.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote