View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
First Track Day +/-

Participated in a track day with 2018 1LE at Palm Beach International Raceway in Miami area. First time with the car and at this track, but I've got a couple thousand.

Basic track and seemingly easy to learn.

The car handled beautifully and was impressed at the brakes...although I'm easy on that pedal.

Engine...bummer - 10 minutes into the session and misfires with resultant power loss. It would come and go and finally flashing CE light so exited the track.

Nothing was remotely near red (250 oil, 240 trans, no change to coolant, etc.). Tires were yellow...but unlikely an issue.

Oil was full (fresh) and tank was 3/4's.

Left the track and topped up the tank. Back to the next session...same deal...gave it a couple of laps and called it a day after 37 track miles.

Drove 6 hour round trip for an SCCA Track Night - marginal return on investment (60 mins on track), but 37 miles was less than expected with only 40 odd minutes due to the engine discrepancy.

Admittedly, I've noticed this on the street on occasion - difficult to tell if it was just an LT1-ism or it actually a fault. (not on the throttle long enough to really confirm). Obviously PBIR has a healthy straightaway with 140 mph end speeds...I was down to 115 when I called it a night.

I have a dealer appt next week to see what is up.

I still like the car! Only got passed in the Intermediate group by a Lambo Aventador that was well driven...I'm ok with that.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote