View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #75
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
No, Ford has never said that directly, but in the M6G thread about the Mustang PP1 getting thrashed by the 1LE, many of the M6G members pointed out that PP1 was never intended to compete with 1LE, that was PP2’s job. That thread is almost 100 pages long and nobody on that thread has offered the opinion that Ford doesn’t consider the 1LE to be PP2’s target. Apparently Ford has done or said nothing to define what the purpose of PP2 is and enough Mustang faithful are or were under the impression that it is to stand up to 1LE.
This. If you just sit back and look at the all the upgrades the PP2 has it looks pretty damn obvious that it was meant to close the gap between the PP1 and 1LE. Look at Ford's history lately. Everytime GM one ups them, they come back swinging( they might not always succeed but they are trying)

ZL1 with 580 HP, GT500 with 662
Z/28 becomes the darling of automotive media, enter 350R
SS1LE spanks the PP1, enter PP2.

ZL1 and ZLE, GT500 delayed - because they know they need to hit it out of the park.

Ford is clearly trying to close the gap, they made a big effort here and as others said just kind of quit at the end. That is disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
At least it did THAT well...

But seriously. If the PP2 is NOT a track package but a performance enthusiast package for street ONLY NEVER ON THE TRACK car, why can't you get it with the automatic trans? That literally makes no sense. Tons of guys would love to buy that configuration for street use. It would also be better at the 1/4 mile track to boot. It certainly would sell.

Why can't you get a convertible PP2 for street use? What, convertibles are unsuited for street only, never to be driven on a track type use? You can get the PP1 in a convertible. Why?

Like I said before, if is swims like a duck, quacks likes a duck, and in this case, poops like a duck....

Plus, if Ford just put the coolers in in the first place, we would all be saying this thing is a track monster like the 1LE. The coolers can't cost that much. Why would a company come that close to the finish line and then just quit? No matter what, that is a bit of lost potential at a very minimal cost.

Pretty dumb.
This ^ The car had all the ingredients to be a worthy competitor of the 1LE but the first magazine highlights we see of it, it overheats? That is just bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Nope. But i did own 2 GTs and tracked one of them extensively. Bragging rights are fine, but only if a car is capable of meeting them. I bought my 1le because i can brag that it beat a mighty z28 around Laguna at half the price and that i have passed evey GT4 ive ever met on a track thus far

Bragging in the media about aero tuning by a pro driver for 140mph corners while attaching anti track use disclaimers at the same time does indeed disappoint me as it makes such effort completely irrelevant. Thats kinda like marketing new and improved condoms but warning the public they cant use them for real sex.

Overall, the whole effort was very clever for marketing purposes, but pointless for consumers, including all the hoopla about skunk works project by Ford enthusiast engineers and such.
Unless Ford condones taking corners at such speeds on public roads, which i doubt they do.

It is also worth mentioning that of all pony cars it is the Mustang which has had the biggest decrease in sales over the last 3 or so years. 33% to 30% for Camaro (if i recall details correctly) vs modest growth for Challenger. Ford needs to let the dogs out vs creating artificial barriers for enthusiasts. Just imo.
See I don't think it was clever at all. If they wanted it just for media purposes to make the Mustang look better against the 1LE, then they failed because the first publication with a review out, the car overheated. That is just bad. Now maybe this car just got unlucky and when MT puts their review up they were able to blast around all day just fine (I don't see that happening) But this is a disappointing effort from Ford.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote