View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I thought I would post a follow-up here...

The kit I bought consisted of two specific EOS items with the following part numbers: FLIP-210-ABS and SS-160-ABS. The splitter went on very easily using only original hardware mounting points and hardware. There are four additional holes in the splitter where you are supposed to drill into the bottom of the front bumper cover and install rivets - I did not do this and am not planning to do this. The splitter is quite rigid and I see no signs as of now (not a lot of miles on the car yet since install, so this is subject to change) that there is any stress on the splitter that would warrant my installing the rivets.

The side skirts just went on in the last few days. They actually follow the contour of the rockers pretty well and there were no significant gaps anywhere when doing initial fitment testing. I used a 3M VHB tape with ALL of the proper installation steps:

- Removed extra material from the skirts leftover from the molding process (mostly around edges of holes)
- Lightly sanded any areas where material was removed to ensure it was completely flat and smooth
- Lightly sanded all along the areas where tape would be applied
- Wiped everything down to remove "dust"
- Wiped everything down with IPA to ensure a clean bond with the tape
- Taped the entire perimeter as well as an additional length along the bottom edge of the vertical portion of the skirt
- "Rolled" the tape with heavy pressure (I used a roller with a wooden "wheel") to ensure the tape was completely bonded to the skirt
- Thoroughly washed and dried the rockers (this happened 36-48 hours prior to install, and I didn't drive the car)
- Wiped the rockers down with IPA multiple times to ensure ALL dirt and other contaminants were removed
- Installed the skirts with the tape on the horizontal surface (underneath) exposed first, then peeled the protector from the lower / internal tape, and finished by removing the protector from the upper piece of tape
- Applied significant pressure all along the taped areas, working slowly to allow the tape to begin to bond
- Used a hair dryer on high to heat a couple of areas where the tape did not want to bond initially, added pressure for up to a full minute to promote bonding once heated

After 48 hours, there were only a couple of areas where the tape failed to bond. Each section is less than 1.5" in length, and it only appeared in one place on the driver's side and a couple of places on the passenger side (the passenger side gaps are under 3/4" in length). As of now, the tape is fully bonded and is holding the skirts on with ZERO hardware. I've driven the car and the skirts do not move.

Once I'm satisfied that there is no more breakdown of the bonding, I will apply a thin film of silicone or similar along the top edge to ensure that water and debris is not able to fall down through those openings. As with the splitter, I have no intention at this point of drilling / screwing through the body panels to secure these as they are quite solid as of now.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote