View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 11:23 PM   #12
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Well there's no doubt you are doing fast laps at VIR (you are crushing my speeds through the uphill esses!). The stated target temps in GM's HP supplement guide are something like 36-37 front and 36-38 rear. Maybe that's supposed to balance traction with tire longevity. I'm generally targeting 35-36 and am matching your speed and G loads in several turns with 2.0 front camber, but there are a few corners where you are faster and pulling higher than 1.3G, which is normally my max. Tire wear has been great though (1100 track miles so far and still a lot of tread left)

Have you tried 35-36 psi targets?
I have, i started with 36 psi hot when i first got the car. I think the lower pressures give a bit better grip. Tire companies always advertise higher pressures because it's a safer pressure range for tires. Ie Hoosier will tell you to run like 42psi on their tires(for our cars) but competitive people believe run them at 30 to 32 psi.i don't think 35psi loses that much time(maybe 3 tenths?), I haven't tried to verify it in any way scientifically though. Track conditions change so much that i think it would take a real racing team to gather correct data on that. I know some racing series will force a minimum psi because lower pressure usually increases grip but you're stressing the tire more which could cause a catastrophic failure, especially on banked ovals.

I'm not any tire wizard though, I need more miles and more testing to have a better idea of what to do. All trial and error and talking to fast experienced drivers or engineers who you trust.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote