View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #744
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
If you had actually understood, then the fact that the SS with the lowering kit ran quicker times on the track than it had with stock suspension should have sunk in. Regardless of whether you think lowering springs are for looks, THIS kit that I was talking about was tested by GM to improve track performance.
I doubt that the lowering - taken independently of any spring rate and damping increase - provided much of that improvement.

That the lowering springs were a bit stiffer, sure. The same stiffness springs could have been provided at 10mm lower, or not any lower at all, and I doubt there'd be much difference (and the lower car could well turn out to be slower). Obviously the much firmer DSSV kit isn't trading on the amount of lowering for its performance improvement.

Chevy realizes that lowering sells mainly on appearance and that people will go at least to the 'more' part of "if some's good, more's better, too much is just enough" without having any clue about where 'too much' begins.

Making lowering springs somewhat firmer is something you 'd do just to keep the car from hitting the bump stops as often, and from there you'd have to specify a bit more damping. In which case the handling improvement might only be a side effect, strictly incidental.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote