View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #153
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
I have so many thoughts but so little time. Keep in mind that people who have time to view a thread don't necessarily have time to respond. It doesn't mean that people aren't interested. Quite the contrary, I've been very interested.
First I want to say that I admire your skills and vision, I know this sort of thing isn't easy.

While your latest designs have potential to be cool cars in my eyes... they have absolutely zero potential to be Camaros. Revolutionary can't mean 100% different. As GM might put it, it has to be readily identifiable as a Camaro. Remember the Ford Probe? When it was designed it was to be the next gen Mustang. The serious outcry was over the drivetrain/layout of course, but close behind was the styling. Fortunately they scrapped that plan, because it had 0% Mustang DNA.

As to your first design... I like it, but as others have said, it looks like the 5thgen evolved from that one, not the other way around. It could have been the 'missing' generation. That said... don't scrap it.
I see where you're going, but the problem is the curves. Whether you like it or not, the 6thgen will be more edgy, I can pretty much guarantee that. Done right, I think it will look outstanding that way, without being 'too' trendy. The thing is, almost all production cars have to have a similar 'current' look, or most people won't want them. There are some exceptions (think Lamborghini), but the Camaro isn't one. Being 'edgy' doesn't mean it has to go all Reventon, it just needs that 'modern' definition (that will slowly change over time as it always has).
I'm 100% positive that this will be a strong evolution of the 5thgen but with other gen cues as well, not a revolution or retro of another gen.
The question is... do you want to render something that you feel should be the 6thgen (as you have) or that you feel will be the 6thgen? You're perfectly in the right to do either one.

If you want to render what they're going to release, you have to add some lines and creases that join compound curves. You can do this with your basic shape, you have the greenhouse mostly correct with the further laid back windshield and the slightly more curved top (from the side profile that is). Your exaggerated "reverse mohawk" (as people call it around here) is dead-on.

Sheesh, it's time to get back to work already. There's a lot more I'm thinking and don't have time to express, but the one other thing I want to say before I go is that the headlights/upper grille on the Transformers 4 car is almost exactly what is to come except lower down because the front will have a lower profile (you can throw the rest of that car out the window). Round is dead (for now... it always comes back, but won't any time soon).

Please keep at it because it's very neat to see other's visions come to life (2D life at least). If I don't post anymore it's only because I don't have time to lay down my thoughts.