View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
Then adding weight wouldn't increase traction at all.... Which it does... Because of added ground pressure.

Going from a 525 wide tire to a 245 wide tire gave me more traction on pure ice, lol.

Same reason some folks with unloaded dually's will run singles in the back... Better traction on ice.

Same reason nobody runs 15.5 or 18 wide tires on their truck in the winter, unless they can't afford winter setups, lol.

Same reason 11" wide semi tires turn better on ice than 385 wide semi tires... All with the same tread pattern, lol.

But I'm also going off my personal experience and everyone I know, so it's probably a skewed view compared to your sources.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Better traction on ice? Or better traction on snow when you compress it against a hard layer (ice or road beneath).

Have you tried braking on ice with skinny tires and no studs? If not, you are in for some fun. Tried turning across an intersection with lateral forces acting on your car? I'm not doubting you having driven through snow, but driving on ice constantly, I am. To a degree, on snow, you can increase traction by increasing weight and compressing the snow against a hard layer, assuming your tread compound is good for winter. We don't have the kind of weight over the axles in a rear-wheel-drive car to ever approach the starting-traction of something like a box-truck or even an SUV, but that's not where the greatest danger is, it's from sliding left or right and not being able to brake.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote