View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #36
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
More studs in a concentrated area would have more grip on ice, that's how studs work, but wider is better for traction on smooth (ice) surfaces. Not sure how you think the opposite is true. Ice isn't some mystery substance, the right winter tires will grip better and treat it more like a dry road surface (although it won't ever quite get there). Wider will still give you better traction. What you are talking about has only two valid points IME, compressing a bunch of snow with a hard surface beneath, for traction, and concentrating studs, which has some validity, but with the tire compound also providing grip you still benefit with wider tires.
Then adding weight wouldn't increase traction at all.... Which it does... Because of added ground pressure.

Going from a 525 wide tire to a 245 wide tire gave me more traction on pure ice, lol.

Same reason some folks with unloaded dually's will run singles in the back... Better traction on ice.

Same reason nobody runs 15.5 or 18 wide tires on their truck in the winter, unless they can't afford winter setups, lol.

Same reason 11" wide semi tires turn better on ice than 385 wide semi tires... All with the same tread pattern, lol.

But I'm also going off my personal experience and everyone I know, so it's probably a skewed view compared to your sources.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote