View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 02:06 PM   #31
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The .035 spec is for a hot engine. You have to factor in heat expansion when taking a cold preload measurement, so you need add .012-.015 on top for aluminum engines to account for expansion. Iron block stuff is different.

Also, you definitely want to measure both intake and exhaust on a few different cylinders because I have seen ported heads that had valve jobs done end up with slightly different valve lengths.

Nothing wrong with the screw turn method to verify, but I prefer to use an adjustable push rod with H/C custom lifter stuff. Start by finding base circle, find zero lash, then measure the adjustable push rod with a digital caliper, add the target preload to that number, and order the correct pushrods.

The only way I would rely on screw turn method is if you are installing a cam in a engine with stock heads, head gaskets, and factory spec lifters. Otherwise, you really need to go through the entire process as I mentioned above or a lot of times you end up with a noisy valvetrain that wears prematurely. This was a huge topic back in the day on LS engines. The LT stuff is no different in that regard.

Cam motion stuff is generally known for having smooth lobe profiles with quiet valvetrain. So if it was noisy I would look into this more. You seem to be knowledgeable, so I am not saying you did anything wrong. Just putting this info out there as food for thought. It may or may not add any valuable information for when you put the new combo back together.
Agreed 100%. My shop used the adjustable length pushrod to measure for my Johnson 2110R lifters and CamMotion cam. I ended up with different length pushrods between intake and exhaust due to my Mast heads! I’m really glad they took the time to carefully check. I don’t think you can just “try 3 different lengths” and hope it works out…probably won’t lol.