View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
The Classroom #2: One Way to Build an LT1

Greetings!

We recently finished another project for one of my young 'assistants' and have the 'opportunity' to start another for the older brother.

16 months ago - engineless 1998 Mitsubachi Lancer Evolution 5 (mouthful) that lacked an engine and sat for 6 years broke:

Today - her first car (now with 400 CHP) to learn to drive:

The 'opportunity' is re-powering my 2018 SS 1LE that is sidelined with a motor that, according to the German technician, is 'KAPUT.'

The 33,000 mile chassis survived 14,000 miles with stock and later ported LT4 blower and a K+N filter along with LT4 pump/injectors. Ran wonderful and dynoed at 655 CHP. More power than I could handle on the track...the autobahn was a bit different. ;-)

But the magic smoke leaked out on a 190 mph run and then in grander fashion on a chilly lap of the Nurburgring - requiring nearly 200 pounds of oil dry to clean up (fortunately no others were involved) after it popped at 157 mph on the fastest part of the course. At least a great story to tell...

Nonetheless, my young assistant will be doing the work...he who has built an LS1 (L33), so I'm not sure who will school who in this journey!

No doubt we will make mistakes, but should be entertaining...for us at least.

Plan is to build a large displacement, lower compression (no octane booster!) shortblock topped with OEM heads with lighter valves, incorporate an aftermarket camshaft (to gain rpm/eliminate the DOD) and hopefully reach 7000 rpm redline.

We will maintain the OEM blower for German sensitivities, but upon return to the states may consider a a larger unit. Until then, we will enjoy the stealthiness, reliability, and lightweight option of the factory offering.

The Beginning: ordered a new LT1 block from Pace Chevrolet (last in stock!)...shipping cost $325 from states to Germany - pretty good deal:

Unboxed:

Unwrapped:

More to follow!

Last edited by Tim M; 03-08-2022 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Image adjustment...
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote