View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
*** Update: 05/28/2020 ***
I finally made time to get out of the neighborhood and take my little test drive cycle around my area. It was about 105* and just nasty outside. It was in rush hour, so it was a short ride and there wasn't much room to have a lot of fun, but WOW... BTW - MIL has been off since I last posted and while I haven't, yet, connected to see if the permanent codes are there, Onstar's monthly check-up just advised me there are no codes anywhere for anything, so that's promising.

After getting the engine oil up to temperature, rolling into the throttle (Sport with TC off) nearly as aggressively as I could be, the tires were starting to spin and I could feel the throttle closing (from the hit) below 60-MPH and in any gear less than 3rd. My PDR showed I pretty much never went WOT (I honestly didn't get much above 70 - lame, I know), HAHAHA, and the tires (stock GYs with 800-miles on them) were trying to spin. The car was great, in fact, never trying to perform a tank-slapper or missing a beat. I didn't bring the laptop to capture data, but aside from the additional power, there was nothing strange - no high coolant or oil temperatures. I didn't hear any pinging (A/C was off the whole drive and windows down), or any other anomalies either visually or audibly. It was just another drive, with a lot more power.

Bottom line in this update: The car is starting to scare me now, which is exactly what I wanted. It is in CARB-legal state (certification is still pending as far as I can see on CARB's website), and on Magnuson's canned tune. My wideband doesn't show anything weird, and though I haven't captured much data yet, I have no reason to think I'm going to find too much out of whack. After the warranty, maybe I'll add an LT5 TB and fine tune the tune, but I don't need much more power. I need and will keep it CARB-appearing and won't be changing much from where it is now (I'll probably add a catch can if I find Magnuson doesn't really care, knowing GM will). I don't know that I could be happier at this point with this kit/product. It is meeting and exceeding my hopes and expectations, and it seems like is putting me right in the window of making the power to scare me just a bit, without diminishing my confidence in myself to drive the car, and the car to assist me in keeping it on the road, safe. I'll add that I'm getting a little more idle-whine after putting some miles on it, and it's great. I'm not a fan of the crazy Procharger-type whine at idle, but this is just enough to remind me of what lurks beneath the bonnet, and the resulting fun that awaits.

Another update soon...
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote