View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #29
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanj View Post
I checked HMS Motorsport, it's very far from me (1hr+) unfortunately :(

Are there any places close to the RI/MA border? I'm right off 495.

In other news, I just registered for my first autocross! Going to Devens Airfiled, Ayer MA on May 20th. Anyone want to join? https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...country-049288 anything I need to know ahead of time?

I have also been checking HPDE, it's certainly more expensive than autocross ($50 vs $250+), so I'm holding off for now. Hopefully I can still do it this coming season. And Yes I understand in terms of drive time, HPDE is a much better value
Devens is an awesome venue for AutoX. I should be there on the 20th for NCR.

I originally bought my gear from HMS, but I bought a Simpson Helmet online. As mentioned, most groups have some loaner helmets including NCR. They are free with NCR.

motorsportreg.com is where to go for Deven events.

Both local Porsche clubs welcome non-Porsche brand cars. The BMW club and Miata will also let other cars in if they have room. Most require you to preregister. You have to unpack all of your loose gear. Your battery has to be bolted down tight, and your tires can't be corded, etc... They will do a safety inspection of your car before the event and check that your wheels are torqued and that you don't have any loose bodies in the trunk.

Typically, bring water, sun screen, a folding chair, a tire gauge, a tire pump, layered clothes this time of year, a hat, sunglasses, a go pro if you have one, comfortable sneakers with thin soles, rain gear just in case, a tarp to set your stuff on or a plastic bin, money for lunch ($5) or lunch, enough gas for the day, but not too much (1/2 tank or less), tape for your assigned numbers, research your car class before the event.

If you are new to this, I would suggest taking advantage of the free instructors. They can make your day enjoyable and safe.

HPDE is also a blast but you are looking at New Hampshire International and Lime Rock, etc... with some of the same clubs. Watkins Glen is great but it is much further out. On the positive side, it is a whole different type of rush. On the negative side, once you really get into HPDE, it is not only the cost of the events. You will burn through tires, brakes and other consumables much quicker given the speeds involved. You will also likely need track insurance since your typical State Farm policy does not cover this kind of thing. Not having insurance is fine where there is nothing to hit on an autoX course, but in HPDE, there are other cars, walls, deer, etc... You can risk not have track specific insurance when you are in Green group, but once you go solo in Red, Black, etc... more speed, more things can happen.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote