Thread: DIY Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #113
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
I know some of you don't care or like using a drain valve (i.e. Fumoto) but I've been using them since the mid 80's and here's why.
Back then the oil change was every 3k miles...my Toyota truck had 245k miles when I gave it to my brother, and I changed my oil and filter every 3k...that would have been a lot of removing and torquing of the drain plug.

I noticed with the amount of unscrewing the drain plug and torquing it tight again and again, the threads on the oil pan was getting pretty bad.
At about 100k I put on a Fumoto valve, and have never looked back.

Now, I use the Fumoto because of the same reason above, but also for:
Ease of draining the oil, remove the locking pin, flip the lever out comes the oil.
I connect a tube to the end of the valve to have the oil directed into the oil pan hole, with no mess.

This valve also allows me the opportunity to take samples for BlackStone to get my oil analyzed without a mess and trying not to over-fill the sample bottle.

I can take some oil at the beginning, mid and end of the drain without any mess...much easier to start and stop a pour of 10qts of oil.

I don't have to get new gaskets or torque the drain plug, just close the valve, place lock on it and done.

Now as for the oil filter, I have never heard of torquing the oil filter tight. On canister top fill oil filters, I can see torquing the cover nut, but never on a twist on oil filter.

Most filters will have instructions that say:
Spin on filter until contact, then tighten 3/4 of a turn by hand.

I learned with my Toyota truck you can over tighten the oil filter and tear the rubber gasket, which in turn will cause the filter to leak at the gasket contact point.

Seems like the oil change on the SS will be almost as easy as on my Silverado I had, just getting it on the ramps may be a problem.
I'll have to make wooden steps for the ramps with some 2x6 boards I guess.

Happy Motoring!