Thread: Ceramic coating
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
They are not created equal. The $30 is not as good as the $80. And the $80 one is no where as good as the $200 bottle.

But with enough prep work - wash, clay, compound the $30 one will shine pretty good and last about 6 months.
^ Agreed

With proper preparation I can make a $3 can of Walmart wax look great!

Quality ceramic coatings offer durability and longevity to the Last Step Product (LSP) stage.
As stated in the above post about "ceramic coating" products..."They are not created equal."

There is a spray and wipe (similar to spray wax) and then the 50ml bottle liquid products.
There is cheap Chinese junk, consumer products, and high end professional only products.
The professional products are installer only and there is a manufacturer certification process.
In short, I think of a ceramic coating as a layer of glass on the paint...hence the term "ceramic".

Again, the key is preparation! This is the time spent washing, decontaminating the paint, compounding, and polishing.
This is the labor intensive part that takes time, paint polishing skills, and knowledge to obtain that "show car" finish.
Once completed, then the paint needs to be surgically clean before the ceramic coating application can be applied.

I'm sorry to say, "I'm gonna wash my car and slap that stuff on there." Sadly, it doesn't work that way. It takes time.
Is it worth it? If you want a vehicle that is easier to maintain and looks great, it's worth the time for your investment.

BTW - IMHO for a DIY guy, CQuartz 3.0 is a fairly user friendly consumer product, or have a pro install CQuartz Finest Reserve.