View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #31
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Had my car's alignment checked yesterday at the dealer. Everything came back within spec.

The car had a four wheel alignment last summer when I had the revised front springs installed. The service tech confirmed he reused the rear camber and toe bolts when he did the alignment. I've got new bolts coming tomorrow.

If this were your car, would you spend the money to get the alignment dialed in closer to neutral and use the new bolts? My car is exclusively driven on the street, no track use.
That's good news. Given the amount of wear I saw on my tires from being out of spec I would and did have mine dialed-in. Like you, my service tech did re-use my old hardware and did not use the TTA method. Also probably like yours, my mechanic did not know that GM required new TTY bolts tightened using the TTA method. My bolts are on order and will be replaced when they arrive.

It seems that you fared well since your last alignment despite having re-used the bolts and simply tightening them up. Whether this is due to your driving habits, road conditions, method of tightening control arm bolts, or simple luck is anyone's guess at this point. I hope your results continue this way if you choose not to replace your bolts. It would certainly be less complicated and less expensive.

Although I intend to insist my mechanic follow the GM repair manual for this and future alignments, I'm still not convinced that the prescribed hardware and methods result in a more stable and persistent wheel trim. After all, my initial alignment done at the factory didn't hold very well for me. Your alignment using traditional methods seems to have held up much better.

I've opened an "Ask Al" thread to see if he'll share GM's justification for requiring TTY bolts and TTA method. Please weigh in there if you feel it's important.

Ask Al: Why alignments need TTA method with TTY bolts?

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote