View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #118
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Kind of a straw man argument there. Those guys are not professional drivers. Look at the ring times. The ZR1 and C6Z06 put a beatdown on the z/28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
But none of us are professional drivers, are we? And the Ring is very, very long....most of us are more likely to end up somewhere like VIR, Willow, or Laguna Seca.
Nurburgring times are nebulous at best (see GT-R vs 911 war). I'm sure Randy Pobst could squeeze every ounce of performance out of these cars but as an enthusiast I'm far more interested in what I can achieve at a local track which is why Lighting Lap is more relevant to me. For the money the Z/28 offers outstanding performance leaving plenty of money left for tires, brakes and track time.

Ultimately I wouldn't buy a track car new, just like I wouldn't be a Jeep new if my intention was to dedicate it to trail use. But this niche market of track-oriented cars is fantastic, even if purchased second hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I'm agreeing with you but I thought they sold. Either way my point remains valid. Some cars make money by selling out, some make money by drawing people in for the bait and switch. Either way, the dealers aren't complaining.
Yep, halo effect. Keep the enthusiast talking/reading about those cars while driving the 4-cylinder version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Well I haven't driven the C6Z06 Or the gen5 z/28 but being an anonymous person on the internet and therefore an expert I don't think the Camaro is in the same league. The lighting lap issue makes for some fun keyboard/ magazine racing but it's more for fun than an actual indication of the cars prowess. Do you really think a gen 5 Z/28 out performs a C6 Z06?
We had a 2012 C6 Z06 dedicated for track use. After 2 years, it was still a handful to drive at the limit. I haven't driven the Z/28 but I've been on track with one in a 997 GT3 and I will tell you it was right up my ass more times than I care to remember.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree

Last edited by MEDISIN; 05-24-2016 at 01:39 PM.
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote