View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I participated in a roll race event yesterday and made about a dozen runs. On two of the runs I experienced a delayed shift from 3-4. The engine didn't bounce off the rev limiter but basically just sat at the shift point for a half a second before shifting.

So during this racing event the drivers agree to a speed to begin the race at, during all runs the starting speeds were between 30 and 45 MPH. So as we approached the starting point of the race while maintaining the agreed upon speed I was keeping the trans in 2nd gear by putting the center console shifter in manual mode. Once the race began and I went WOT I would put the shifter back into auto immediately so I didn't get close to redline and let the A10 do it's thing. The 2-3 shift was always perfect but on two of the runs I would experience the delayed shift on the 3-4. Every shift after the 3-4 shift was perfect as well.

I can say I've never once had an issue on the street, but when ever I do WOT throttle runs on the street I'm always letting the trans shift in auto and do not use the paddle sifters. I've made roughly 80-100 passes at the local 1/8" mile and the trans has never skipped a beat. This delay only seems to be when I do these roll race event and makes me wonder if me holding it in manual mode and then back to auto mode has something to do with it?

Luckily the two times it did it yesterday I had enough of a lead that it didn't cost me the race

Anyone else experienced this?
Is your car completely stock, or modified?

This happened to me once on the street. There’s a thread about it somewhere on this forum. I have some minor bolt-ons (headers, intake, ported TB), but I haven’t sent the TCM in to get it unlocked. I bumped up my rev limiter 50 rpm in 3rd gear as a temporary fix. Hasn’t happened since.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote