View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #36
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
I have taken multiple datalogs of my car running 91 octane from multiple stations (the only one I have not tried yet is Shell), and on all reported log instances I have seen in some cases as much as 8- 9* of knock on my Z. It's not cool at all. The only thing that I find that helps it is adding in a can of Octanium by VP, or Boostane. Yes I have tried removing timing, static knock retard tables. It doesn't make a difference, as there is knock present even as low as cruising range, so it has been narrowed down to this junk California water gas.

With that being said, I'd really like to try and avoid having too dump in an octane booster every single time. California guys this post is for you (predominantly the Bay Area) where are you getting your fuel from? I can't seem to find 93 or 94 anywhere and I'd really like to try and get that stuff but it seems next to near impossible to find in my area. I'm really starting to wonder if having to tune for some ethanol is in my future.

Thanks in advance!

I recall a conversation I had with TED @ JRE... and his warning was similar to your experience in that these cars dont do well with 91 and will see a ton of KR. He suggests running no less than E30 blend, so like others have said if you were trying to stay stock, id add an octane booster to each tank... if you are open to mods, then id look at Ted's 125 flex fuel package, or at bare minimum... doing a flex fuel kit, CAI for a nice bump and a happier car.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote