View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #13
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Do it yourself! It cost ~$30 in fluid and $7 for a fluid pump. Took me about 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
While I could do this myself, with the eLSD technology and such, and the cost of it, I will have my dealer do it just to be safe and have it on file.
The eLSD is a separate unit. No need to worry about additional complexity.
The fluid change is no different than any other diff. Drain, fill, go drive a few figure 8's in a parking lot, then top off. Done!

I'm willing to bet the dealer will barely drain all the fluid before filling it and sending you on your way! Take it from me, I was a tech while I was still going to school and you make your money by getting 30 min jobs done in 10-15 min. You get paid for 30 mins of labor regardless. That's why you often get shitty work done by dealers/shops. The whole flat rate system encourages cutting corners and finding short cuts. It in no way encourages doing the job thoroughly and carefully.

As far as having records I buy all my stuff from Amazon so I have easy access to purchase receipts. My dealer would have to argue that I bought oil and fliter, diff fluid and whatever else and stored it in my garage just for the fun of it instead of servicing my car. I feel like I would have enough proof that I had serviced my car correctly to fend of any attempts to void my warranty.