View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Also, you keep talking about how GM needs Alpha because they only have one commercially viable RWD platform and it is large, and they need a small one to compliment that. But is that the impression GM is giving? The message I'm hearing from GM loud and clear is that they don't really want to do RWD because of fuel concerns. As long as they're risk adverse (and what company exemplifies risk adverse more than GM?) then RWD is not a given. It is a risk and GM isn't comfortable with that. Right now.
And do you blame them, really? Though I may not like it that a large portion of the proposed RWD cars have been cancelled - I believe they're making the right decisions.

Sorry, but Alpha is really personal to me. I love the Camaro and everything, but some of the retro-for-the-sake-of-retro, like the unusable 4-pack gauges and the bad visibility, combined with the large size and weight, is giving me second thoughts. I'm wanting something more forward thinking, something creating a new heritage. Alpha represented that to me, but I've gotten my hopes up so many times just to have them dashed that I'm really not too receptive of GM's promise of modern performance cars anymore.
I see nothing done on the 5th gen Camaro as "retro for the sake of retro". I see cues and ideas taken from then, and implemented into the now. That doesn't qualify for retro if it's done right: which is IS done right. Especially to younger folks who have never seen the inside of a '69 Camaro. The little 4-pack will be a neat neat feature to them.

The IRS, the structural rigidity, the powertrains, the comfort, and the quality: I think they're ALL forward thinking. No Camaro has ever followed the 5th gen's formula before: Refined, but aggressive. If you like Alpha, then that's your perogative -- and you'll be pleased I think, because it's rumored to be based off the flexible-architecture that Zeta utilizes. But personally; I don't believe Camaro would make a good Alpha-car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Is there a possibility that GM can tool the Alpha line, or set it up, in such a manner to be RWD, FWD, or even AWD? Because if so, this could be a major break through for GM. I could easily see GM pouring money into an Alpha line that can accommodate more vehicle types.

Could you all see a lighter Alpha Camaro, CTS coupe, Sky, Solstice, Cobalt, Aveo, etc. being built on a speific line?
I don't think so. A flex-line (as in Oshawa) as I understand it; can easily be converted to a different platform; but those platforms can't run all at the same time. So a Cobalt wouldn't be built next to a Camaro. But a G8 ST might...you see what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Alpha can at best accommodate a V6. Without the possibility of a V8 having a Camaro on the Alpha platform is questionable. Sure anything is possible for the next gen, but I think if we were to take a poll here not many people would be in favor of a 6th Gen that didn't even offer a V8.
Actually...they probably could shoehorn a V8 into Alpha - dimentionally-speaking; a V8 and a V6 aren't terribly different...but it would play hell with wieght transfer, and you'd probably end up with another scrunched engine bay ala 4thgen.

I want to focus the idea on the Pontiac, Opel, and Holden version. Just imagine a RWD performance car available in coupe, sedan, and convertible form, just like the current G6, and a bit smaller. Weight below 3600 lbs (maybe not for 'vert). Base trim with a 2.4L making 180ish hp, GT with the TC/DI 2.0L making 260+ hp, and a GXP with a DI 3.6 making north of 300 hp. Wide tires, 6 speeds all around, strong brakes, and a competent suspension to round it all out. No trace of retro at all. This would be entirely moving forward and creating a new heritage for GM to have in the future. Sound good? That's what I've been craving for a long time now, and every so often I hear its been canceled or delayed, again.
So you're looking for a brand new car, then. Almost a Cobalt-sized RWD vehicle...That's what Alpha would be for -- and that's why I think they'll do it. Cadillac, I think, would have the most pull as far as continuing its development. Since they want to become a legit Luxury brand -- they need a small RWD car. And Cadillac buyers will pay more for said car; thus absorbing some of the initial costs.

Wishful thinking? Possibly -- but I'd rather think this way than condemn GM for holding the production of a money-sucking niche vehicle.