View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #86
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quick update:

I've worked with/for, and spoken with dozens of engine manufacturers, from small-race-shop kind of guys to engineers at worldwide engine manufacturers. So far, all of them said the same thing: don't "drive it like you stole it", but don't baby it during break-in. Drive it hard, then take it easy. Go fast, then go slow. Do a couple full-power runs, then let it come down from those temps naturally.

Basically, follow the same break-in procedure for tires and brake pads (i.e.: put it all on the car at the same time, and do all the break-in together), but for a longer period.

However, I did not have any information specific to the LT1. Perhaps our engine is different than the SBC, LSx, Coyote, etc. engines that I was familiar with??? So, I did what any reasonable person would do . . .

I called Blackdog Speed Shop. You know . . . the guys who are racing a 6th gen Camaro in the Pirelli World Challenge Series? I wanted to know who built their motors, and how they were broken in.

You - "But wait Trans Ram, they're using race motors that are built for 1 purpose. This isn't the same thing as what we have in our cars! Your conclusions are wrong!"

Actually, to race in the GTS class, the engine must be "high OEM content sealed “crate” engines", as per Pirelli WC rules. They may make some modifications, such as adding oil coolers, unrestricted spark plugs (unrestricted type, must retain same number), etc. It goes so far as to say that they must even use the stock exhaust manifold (though exhaust after the manifold is unrestricted except to termination).

So, I asked them how they broke in their motors. Well, they said that they drive their racecar around the track for 1500 miles, never getting above 4000rpm, never above 50% throttle, never letting it stay at the same speed, etc.

Just kidding! They said no such thing!! They said that they take the car out on the track and do some "shakedown" laps. Basically, they run it around the track at 80-90%. Not 80-90% throttle, though. They give it full throttle at times. And they do everything else that they'd do during a race. They just don't do it all the time. They'll do some warmup laps, then some racing laps, then some "cruising" laps, then some more racing laps, and finally some cooldown laps.

I know, I know . . . "But, Trans Ram, these are racing guys. They don't care if they blow their engine!"

True. But, our cars are warrantied. GM gives us a new one if we blow it up.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote