View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #97
KuroOkami

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I know this is an older topic, but I don't think it ever really dies. I want to premise these comments by saying that I'm not a mechanical engineer/expert or mechanic and I don't work for GM/Chevrolet, but I was recently watching some documentaries on the build factories for both the 5th gen and 6th gen Camaros. First, tolerances on these new engines have gotten so good that they are now taking measurements in microns on the production line. This helps to alleviate some of the need for traditional break-ins, but not all of it. As far as testing the motor separately once it is built, they don't test it traditionally by running fuel through it. They test with forced air, which they mention only takes 80 secs to get up to speed, and then they check for leaks. Other than that, the only break-in as a completed vehicle seems to be driving it off the line for water testing and driving it between transportation spots (on a truck, on a train, waiting in a parking lot/warehouse). So what is my point?!? Overall, I believe that the break-in recommended by GM in the manual is still important to thoroughly sync all the systems and components of the vehicle together as a complete system. I also believe that it allows the vehicles computer to learn about the driver and what to expect for inputs while driving on the road and that all of this is important to keep your new vehicle well maintained and running for many years to come. Is is absolutely necessary, no. Any idiot with some money can go down and buy a car and mash the pedal to the floor as hard as he can for as long as he can. Will that car blow up? Probably not. Technology and tolerances are too good these days for that to happen with anything that can pass all the regulations to be on the street these days. Will that car last as long or hold up as well as the same car where the owner has done a proper break-in and keeps his vehicle well maintained? I think not.

As for what I intend to do. I plan to mostly follow the recommended break-in with the following additions. First, drive the car for a week or 50 about miles, whichever is less. After the first 50, do a initial oil change and if I haven't already, install a catch can (but preferably before this point, but no later). Then I follow the break-in plan for the rest of the 1500 miles of the car. Follow this up with a fluids change (oil and transmission). Beyond that, it is just following the recommended and needed maintenance with quality products and enjoying the ride.

I was thinking about how I need to drive for the break-in as my new car is almost here and I realize that I live in absolutely the best area for break-in of a vehicle. I live in a semi-rural area of southern California, so there is never such a thing as a no driving season. Beyond that, there are a lot of fairly well maintained country back roads through low winding hills and smaller mountain ranges.

So all I have to do is go for leisurely weekend drives through the hills. All the turns and hills will make sure that I don't keep the car at a constant speed and break-in the brakes, tires and transmission all at the same time. The occasional traffic and weekend will keep the speed and RPMs down. All I have to do is enjoy a nice cruise and my break-in will be over before I know it.

And as for people still harping on the skip-shift feature, get over it. Yes, it kinda contradicts how you are supposed to be driving, but it saves us from having to spends hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars in taxes and can be fixed in about 5 mins with a $12 part. I'll take that trade off any day.

1100 - 02/02/20 | 2000 - 02/10/20
3100 - 02/13/20 TPW 3/02/20 (Yeah right)
3300 - 02/14/20 | 3400 - 02/17/20
3800 - 03/10/20 ('Bout friggin time)
03/20/20 still just sitting there
9000 - 04/20/20 Covid sucks :(
5000 - 07/03/20 | 6000 - 07/05/20
KuroOkami is offline   Reply With Quote