View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
'18 ZL1 A10 - full throttle surging on track

Yesterday we ran our ZL1 at Wild Horse Pass East course in Phoenix, and I was experiencing full throttle surging/hesitation on the straights.

'18 ZL1 A10, ~11k miles
Stock GY supercar 3 tires
Mix of pump 91 and 100 unleaded, calculated ~94 octane.

Ambient temps in the mid 90s

When I first felt it, I was running PTM Sport 1, and I thought it might be the traction control/ stability control, but it was only happening at full throttle on the straights, so I thought that was unlikely. I ran the car in Sport 2 and Race, and it did it in every mode.

The surging was present on straights after left and right turns, and the chicane (right/left). It was more apparent the harder the car was pushed... my wife didn't experience nearly to the extent I did, but she did tell me it was noticable even at her pace.

I've never experienced this on the street, though the car has been run to ~140 a couple of times on a 'private, closed course'.

The following video is a clip from one session where you can see/hear the surging/hesitation.

It's subtle, but there at 00:16 in 3rd, 00:20 in 4th. It's really obvious at 00:32 in 3rd gear. You can see in the video that the TC icon is not coming on when it occurs.

After researching here, I found the TSB for the wiring harness rubbing on the body, which has not been addressed as far as I know. A quick look shows no exposed wires, but it is clear the sheet metal is wearing into the plastic corrugated tubing around the harness.

I also found the thread on the belt rubbing the wiring harness. That does not appear to be the problem.

There is also a member here who is on his third fuel pump, with a similar issue, but he reports it also happens in the corners.

Anyone experience this issue with their ZL1/ZLE?? Any ideas?

I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote