View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Any idea why the car isn't flex-fuel from the factory?

That's one thing that seems odd to me, E85, high compression and DI work well together. I'd rather run E85 and have a bit more power.

Agreed on the catch-can.
GM's push for E85 was always focused on getting fuel economy credits for having a high number of E85 vehicles in the fleet, so the focus was on high volume applications. The reason small blocks are E85 capable at all was to get high volumes of pickups and utilities in the "E85 fleet" to max out the credits. To reduce build complexity in the engine plants that build small blocks (which valves and seats are hardened? which ones are not?) the simple solution was to harden everything and keep it moving. That's the powertrain side of things.

On the vehicle side, the decision to make this nameplate or that nameplate E85 capable was a combination of maxxing out E85 credits plus cost reduction in the form of material content. If a car was not high enough volume to contribute to E85 credits, no need spending the money to make it capable. Camaro and Corvette are blips on the vehicle volume meter. Add to that the fact that E85 delivers lower fuel economy. I think GM would have to show both E10 and E85 FE numbers on the Monroney. Not sure if that would impact gas guzzler or not.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote