View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #14
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
You might try getting the ABS system bled using the scan tool just to be sure, and have the calipers rebuilt to make sure they are working as intended.

Ice mode results in a hard brake pedal with less travel and limited braking force, then when the car reaches a lower speed the braking will return to normal with the pedal going down further. If you quickly initiate braking with any steering input above a certain speed, it will also limit braking in a similar manner. IME, this isn't ice mode but it's the same idea and happens for the same reason, ABS is trying to keep the car from spinning.

Your '18 ZL1 is unfortunately one model year before the ABS system was revised to minimize the occurrence of ice-mode when using other than OEM tires, the fact you're running 3Rs which exceeds OEM tire grip and actually using that extra performance is likely the cause if it is indeed ice mode. You can get a '19+ EBCM from a car with the same options as yours, which will help, but might not completely eliminate the issue, or you can get a ZL1 1LE which doesn't have ice mode, afaik... Sounds like you need a 1LE!
I wish I could remember what the pedal felt like, I don't recall it going to the floor, I think I would have remembered that... all I remember for sure is the car started stopping normal then stopped stopping like normal part way into braking and I thought I was going to crash for sure

When they bleed the brakes they will let me know how the fluid looks, if it looks burnt then I'm gonna guess it's over heating STILL, however the fact that this happened on the 1st hard hot lap of the 4th session of the day has me very confused, I would think it would have faded/failed at the end of one of the first three sessions...

Having said all that, if it is Icemode, there seems to be some things that contradict that

- I'm not AutoX and that's where this seems to be happening the most by far
- I'm definitely not getting any wheel spin before braking since I'm going 170km/h
- The tires are warmed up enough to have good grip, they are not cold like at the start of the 1st session or after lunch break...
- And the pavement at the track I go to is near perfect
- It doesn't seem to be repeatable... I never know when it's going to happen

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 08-10-2022 at 03:11 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote