View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #42
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Well with MRC there's really only one place to adjust camber which is at the strut knuckle. You adjust the camber bolts, adjust toe and you're set. With the DSSV you are now introducing camber adjustment at the top of the strut tower, with still the same type of adjustment at the knuckle. It's really a neat and quick way of doing it as essentially you spin the camber plate 180 degrees for +/-1.7 degrees worth of camber, there's not really any adjustment at the top hat other than those two settings (street and track), the fine tuning is at the knuckle. I don't really drive the car too much on the street so mine will be staying in the track position.

With the vorshlag plates (and moreno, gc etc..) the camber adjusts on a slide, not a single setting so there is more adjustment and there's also room for error. What i have done in the past with vorshlag plates is essentially two alignments and mark on the slider S and T settings so you know where to land that..

What NORM says below is true. Most guys (including myself) don't really do their own alignments. I have in the past, while it's super educational, setting up strings and the trial and error of it can be exhausting. I have a shop that I am very close with that they let me get in the garage with them and see what the alignment is doing. With the DSSV plates you'd essentially need 2 alignment readouts, if you can find a shop that will allow you to learn while they are doing it that would be best.

Depending on what is more important, street or track (for me it's track), you can have them do the alignment in the track setting, set the toe to 0 or 1-2/32 out. Then have them flip the plates to street, and see if the toe is acceptable IN for street wear. Now you have your two full alignments, and it's kind of a crap shoot if they BOTH (might be either or) will be acceptable, but one or the other may very well be out, and need to be adjusted for it's designed purpose. That's where it may become costly or time consuming.
Interesting, thanks for that info, I definitely won't be doing this myself, I'm hoping the race track can do it in a reasonable time before I begin racing (so I don't have to show up too early that day and after I'm done racing at the end of the track day so I don't have to stay too long after the tracking is over).

So I want to see if I have this right; you're saying that on the ZLE camber plate one of the setting (track or street depending on which you choose) will definitely consistently be the desired camber and toe despite switching back and forth between the 2 setting but it's hard (not impossible) to get both settings (track and street) to consistently have the desired camber and toe when switching back and forth between settings without one of them needing a more detailed alignment adjustment, correct?
So it sunds like at the very least one of the 2 alignments will be a quick switch with ZLE type camber plate?

I assume if Vorshlag or Gen5DIY wanted to, they could make a ZLE type camber plate with that quicker adjustment unlike how the Moreno camber plate was?

Currently my ZL1 is a daily driver and it will remain so in the spring and summer when I will track the car about 6 times over that period of good weather. While I'm just learning how to track my car this year, I imagine I will care more about the best alignment I can get as time goes and the better I get, so I'm interested in learning as much as I can about this for the next tracking season in 2020.