View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #54
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
A more futuristic approach with some heritage cues.

The retro theme is dead. Thankfully.
But thats what the 5th gen is. A futuristic take on a classic car.

Not calling you out Fen, just making a statement...

The 5th gen was/is clearly a futuristic, aggressive modern interpretation of a classic car. It is not purely "retro" Look at the Challenger...that car looks most like its earlier self than the 2005 Mustang did of its earlier self, and the 2010 Camaro was even farther away than either of those two from its former self.

Again, sorry if its just me, but I strongly feel that retro does not describe the Camaro. Why do you think all the haters call it a "cartoon" car? B/c is has the bold look, the big lines, and the over the top feel that makes it stand out.

So lets say they create a new design for the 6th gen Camaro that doesn't look like the 5th gen. Thats fine, but I guarantee if they don't incorporate some of the classic lines that make a Camaro a Camaro people will b!itch and say "its not Camaro!". Hell...I would! So Chevy is going to have to incorporate something to help us identify with the car.

So when that happens...do we call it "retro"? No.

We don't call Porsche Boxter's or 911s 'retro', but that design is as old as time. Instead, they stuck with a design that just works.