View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Boomers18ZL1

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
I know this topic has been brought up in the past but over the past few days I’ve did some tests and I’m still scratching my head....

I regularly check my oil, think I have OCD in the past I’ve noticed some odd behavior with oil readings. I know you should wait an hour or 2 to get accurate results. I actually spoke to the lead tech at my GM dealer and he says it’s best to wait 15-30 mins after shutoff for accurate results.

So here is what I noticed recently...

Few days before the snow here in NJ went for a drive, came back put car in the garage. About 15 minutes later i checked the oil And it was about 1/2 way up on the cross hatch (I like to keep it about 3/4 on the cross hatch) I waited about another 15-20 mins and the oil came up right about 3/4 on the hatch.

Did some cleaning on the car and some other odds and ends over the next 2 hours, checked it 2 more times and both times it was in the same spot. Great. Closed hood. Done.

Today, decided to go for a quick drive, checked the oil before starting and it was 1/4 up on the bottom of the cross hatch.... the car didn’t move prior, sat in same level Spot for days in garage, however it’s been cold.

I didn’t touch the oil, went out for my drive. Came back parked in same spot, check oil after 20 mins and oil was back up 3/4 on the dipstick. Left it for an hour, checked it again ... still same ...

I don’t get it, it’s like some sort of witchcraft going on.... lol like the oil when cold is settling lower. I really don’t get it? But has anyone else noticed anything similar?

I remember last year I thought it was low, so I added more to
Bring it up and pretty much did what I did here and ended up overfilling it (or so I thought). As it was over the cross hatch after starting and letting sit an hour.

Thanks
Same that has happened to me several times I could send pictures where it was half way up the dip stick. Made no sense. Next day normal. If I didn't take the pics I wouldn't believe it myself. The most crazy thing ever.
Boomers18ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote